Most visa applications for the US are standardized, but there are specific requirements that vary from country to country. This is because the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad will choose the most appropriate application method for their region. Learn more about applying for a U.S. visa in India in this article.
Do Indians Need a US Visa?
Yes, all Indians require a visa to enter the United States. Only a limited number of countries are included in the US Visa Waiver Program and can be entered for short-term business or tourism purposes.
How to Apply for a US Visa in India?
To apply for a US visa in India, you must complete the following steps.
- Determine the type of U.S. visa you need.
- Fill out the U.S. visa application (Form DS-160).
- Pay the U.S. visa fee.
- Make an appointment to apply for your visa.
- Obtain all required documents.
- Submit your application to a U.S. visa application center.
- Attend a U.S. visa interview at the U.S. Embassy.
Determine What Type of US Visa You Need
There are many different types of U.S. visas, depending on the purpose of your trip. You must choose the one that best fits your circumstances. For more information on the different types of U.S. visas, please click here.
Complete the US Visa Application Form (Form DS-160)
Once you know what type of visa you need to apply for, you will need to fill out a U.S. Visa Application (Form DS-160). You can complete this form online at one of the following locations.
- Consular E-Application Center, or
- Using the services of a third-party vendor such as TravelAssist.
Once you begin the application process, you will be assigned an application number. Be sure to keep this number as you may need it throughout the application process. It cannot be changed once you have applied. Therefore, please make sure that all information is correct.
Once you have completed the DS-160 form, you will receive a confirmation page with a barcode number on it. You will need this number to make an appointment for your U.S. visa. You can then email a copy of your DS-160 to us or download it as a PDF for printing. You will need the printed confirmation page for your appointment at the Visa Application Center and for your interview at the Embassy or Consulate.
Pay the US Visa Fee
Before you can submit your U.S. visa application to India, you must pay a visa fee, which varies depending on the type of visa you are applying for. Click here to learn more about US visa fees. Payment of the US visa fee in India can be made in the following ways.
- Payment by NEFT (National Electronic Funds Transfer)
- Payment by cell phone – IMPS
- Cash (at DRUK Bank, AXIS Bank or Citibank)
Once you have paid your visa fee, please keep the receipt (you will need to present it when applying for your visa).
US visa fees are non-refundable.
Schedule a US Visa Appointment in India
To make an appointment for a US visa in India, you must create an account with the US online visa application service. You will then need to make two appointments.
- One at a visa application center.
- One is an appointment at the US embassy or consulate. The appointment at the embassy or consulate must be at least one day after the appointment at the VAC.
To make an appointment, you will need the following:
- Your passport number
- Your receipt number for the visa application fee
- Your 10-digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page.
Submit the Application at the US Visa Application Centre in India
When you make an appointment to apply for a U.S. visa in India, you must select the location (Visa Application Center) where you will submit your application. In India, there are VACs in Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata and New Delhi, you can choose the VAC that is closest to you.
When you arrive at the visa application center on the day of your appointment, the staff will take your photo and fingerprints. At this time you will be required to present the following documents.
- Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months from the date you plan to leave the U.S.).
- DS-160 confirmation page.
- Appointment Confirmation Page.
- A passport photo (as per photo requirements for US visas).
Collect the required US visa documents for Indians
- Passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of departure from the US.
- A previous passport with an old US visa in it.
- Two passport size photos that meet the photo requirements for a US visa.
- A printout of the confirmation page of Form DS-160.
- Proof that you have paid the U.S. visa fee (receipt).
- Social media details. For current U.S. visa applications, you will need a list of the social media sites you use and the name of each account, as well as your phone number, email, and social media history for the past five years.
- Itinerary. You must indicate what you plan to do while in the United States.
- Proof of lodging, depending on where you are staying. Hotel reservations, invitations from friends and relatives, etc.
- Other documents, depending on the U.S. visa you wish to extend. For example
- Sponsorship documents (if you have a sponsor).
- For a U.S. work visa. Documents that prove your eligibility, such as a job offer or contract.
- For U.S. student visas: documents showing that you are enrolled at a U.S. educational institution.
Enter Your US Visa Interview at the US Embassy
After you submit your visa application to the VAC, you must go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to receive your U.S. visa interview. When you appear at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, you must bring the following documents with you.
- A printout of your appointment confirmation letter.
- DS-160 confirmation page with a stamp from the VAC.
- Your current passport and your old passport.
- Supporting documents depending on your visa type
The interview will not take long and the U.S. Visa Officer may ask you questions about why you want to come to the U.S. and to learn more about you.
Try to arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment. This is because you will need to show your appointment certificate and passport upon entry and go through a security checkpoint. You may also have to wait in a queue.
Where can I attend my US visa interview in India
The addresses of the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in India are as follows:
The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi
- Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021
- Telephone +91-11-2419-8000
- Fax +91-11-2419-8587
The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay)
- C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
- Phone number (22) 2672-4000
The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras)
- 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
- Telephone +91-44-2857-4000
- Fax: +91-44-2811-2027
The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
- Tel: +91-33-3984-2400
- Fax: +91-33-2282-2335
The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad
- Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003
- Telephone: +91-40-4033-8300
The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in India do not allow electronic devices, phones, food, large bags, etc., so please make sure these items are dropped off elsewhere prior to your arrival.
US Visa in India Interview Waiver
The U.S. visa interview at the Embassy is waived only in the following cases.
- You are applying for a U.S. visa renewal in India and meet certain conditions
- You are under 14 years of age or over 79 years of age
Use Travel Assist’s services to increase your chances of successfully applying for a US tourist visa in India.
An experienced Travel Assist agent will handle your application and assist you in applying for a U.S. tourist visa.
Processing Time For a US Visa Application in India
Unless further review is required, you will find out immediately after your interview whether your U.S. visa has been granted. If further review is required, you will need to wait a few more days for the results of the review.
If your U.S. visa is approved, you will need to wait another 3-4 days to receive it.
Where to Receive US Visa in India?
When you book your appointment for the U.S. visa, you will need to indicate where you would like to receive your passport with the U.S. visa affixed. You can also have the documents mailed to you.
Do I need Travel Insurance for US Visa Application in India?
No, travel insurance is not a mandatory requirement to apply for a U.S. visa. However, due to the very high cost of medical care in the United States, it is highly recommended, if not mandatory, that you purchase travel medical insurance for your U.S. visa in India.