Do I Need a Visa for USA From Dubai?
UAE passport holders must apply for a visa before traveling to the United States. All UAE nationals must present a visa when entering the U.S.; UAE nationals traveling as immigrants or non-immigrants require a visa.
If you hold a passport from one of the 39 countries covered by the U.S. Visa Waiver Program and are a resident of Dubai, you do not need a visa to enter the United States for tourist purposes. Nationals of these countries only need a U.S. electronic travel authorization to enter the country as visitors.
USA Visit Visa from Dubai
If you wish to travel to the United States for business or pleasure, you can apply for a visa to visit the United States from Dubai. There are two types of visitor visas available.
- If you are traveling to the US for business purposes, you can apply for a US business visa from Dubai. This visa is also known as a B1 visa.
- If you are coming to the U.S. as a tourist, you should apply for a U.S. tourist visa from Dubai. This visa is also known as the B2 visa.
The U.S. visitor visa from Dubai allows you to enter and stay in the United States for up to six months. To apply for a U.S. business visa and a U.S. visitor visa from Dubai, you must complete the online DS-160 form. The application process is the same as that described in this article.
US Visa Application From Dubai
To apply for a U.S. visa from Dubai, you will need to follow a few steps. Follow the simple steps below to successfully apply for a U.S. visa from Dubai.
- Determine the type of US visa you need.
- Determine where in Dubai you need to submit your application.
- Fill out the application form online.
- Pay the fee for the visa application.
- Make an appointment for a US visa interview in Dubai.
- Prepare the necessary documents for your U.S. visa application in Dubai.
- Attend the visa interview
Check what type of US visa you need
U.S. visas for Dubai residents fall into two main categories
- U.S. nonimmigrant visas.
- U.S. immigrant visas.
Both categories have subcategories depending on the purpose of your visit to the United States. It is important to choose the appropriate visa. If you apply for the wrong visa, your application will be denied. Applying for a US visa in Dubai depends on the type of visa you are applying for.
This article is for people applying for a US nonimmigrant visa in Dubai. If you are applying for a US visa in Abu Dhabi, please see our article on US visas in Abu Dhabi. On the other hand, if you want to apply for a US immigrant visa in Abu Dhabi, please read our article on “Immigrant Visas to the US”.
Check where you need to apply in Dubai
Applicants for a U.S. visa to the UAE must apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General in Dubai. Dubai residents must apply at the U.S. Consulate General.
- Info on the U.S. Consulate General Dubai
- Address: Corner of Al Seef Rd. and Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Rd, Dubai, UAE
- Phone: +971-4-309-4000
Complete the online application form
To apply for a US visa from Dubai, you will need to fill out an online application form to proceed. This form is also known as the DS-160 form.
The DS-160 form can be completed online from:
- Consular e-Application Center, or
- Using the services of a third-party agency such as TravelAssist.
Pay the visa fee & schedule a US Visa appointment in Dubai
Once you have completed your application, you will need to pay the US visa fee for Dubai residents. Go to the official website of the Visa Appointment Service of the US Department of State. Create an account there and follow the simple steps below to complete the payment process.
- Enter your DS-160 confirmation number.
- Enter your DS-160 confirmation number and complete the process of returning the courier document.
- Pay the nonimmigrant visa (MRV) application fee.
- Make an appointment at the consular section.
Collect the required documents for a US visa from Dubai
U.S. authorities want each application for a U.S. visa in Dubai to consist of several documents. These documents will be used to decide whether the visa will be granted or not. You need to pay close attention to these documents. Make sure that you submit all the documents as required.
The standard documents required to apply for a US visa from Dubai are as follows:
- A page certifying that you have completed the DS-160 form.
- Your passport. The passport must be valid for at least six months from the date you plan to leave the United States. It must also have at least one blank page for the visa sticker to be affixed.
- A recent U.S. visa photo, 5 x 5 inches in size, in color, taken within the last six months. If you have already uploaded a photo to your DS-160 application, you do not need to submit an additional photo.
- U.S. Visa Application Appointment Confirmation Form (if applicable).
- Receipt of paid visa application fee.
- Previous U.S. Visa (if applicable).
- Proof of a criminal record; a police certificate called an ACRO must be obtained from authorities in your country. It indicates whether you have ever been arrested, cautioned, or convicted of a crime.
- If you have ever been denied entry into the United States or deported from the United States, you must also provide documentation showing the reason for the denial.
Documents required for US tourist visa from Dubai
If you are applying for a U.S. tourist visa from Dubai, you must provide the following additional documents to the consulate in Dubai:
- Cover Letter. In the cover letter, you should explain the purpose of your trip.
- A bank statement from a financial institution or bank to prove that you have the means to stay in the United States.
- Connection to your home country. Proof that you have family, employment contracts, leases, property deeds, etc. in Dubai that will allow you to return to this country.
- An optional letter of invitation for a US visa from a friend or family member living in the US.
- If you are a student, please bring your transcripts or diploma.
- If you are working
- A letter from your employer
- Pay stubs for the last three months
- A copy of identification from a relative in the U.S. This is required if you are visiting family or friends who live in the U.S.
- Medical report. This is required if you are entering the country for medical purposes.
It is recommended that you obtain travel medical insurance for the duration of your stay in the U.S. prior to your visa interview.
Attend the visa interview in Dubai
A visa interview is mandatory for all applicants between the ages of 14 and 79. The interview is a very important part of the US visa application process for Dubai residents.
You must be on time for the interview. If you are late, your appointment will be cancelled. On the same day, your biometric data will be taken before the interview. A consulate staff member will enter the building and review your application prior to your appointment.
Your US visa interview in Dubai will be with a consular officer. During the interview, you will be asked several questions about your trip. Please answer all questions correctly. Your answers must match the information in your documentation.
For a successful US tourist visa application in Dubai, use the services of Travel Assist.
Travel Assist’s experienced agents will take great care of your US tourist visa application.
US Visa Application Processing Time in Dubai
The processing time for U.S. visa applications in Dubai varies. This time depends on the number of applications received by the Embassy at the time of application. The processing time is around 4-6 weeks.
In Case of Visa Denial
If your application for a U.S. visa in Dubai is denied, you may submit a new application. However, you will have to pay the visa fee again.
When submitting a new application, you must prove that the reason for the previous denial is no longer valid.