Do UAE Citizens Need a Visa for USA?
United Arab Emirates citizens must apply for a U.S. visa before they can travel to the United States. United Arab Emirates citizens require a visa to travel to the United States, both immigrant and non-immigrant.
Citizens of other countries do not need a visa if they are residents of Abu Dhabi. If you are coming to the United States as a tourist, you may also be exempt from the visa requirement.
There are 39 countries that fall under the U.S. Visa Waiver Program. Use the ESTA eligibility checker to determine if you are eligible.
How to Apply for US Visa from Abu Dhabi?
Applying for a US visa in Abu Dhabi consists of a series of steps. If you need to apply for a US visa, you must follow these specific steps to ensure your application is successful.
Here are instructions on how to apply for a US visa in Abu Dhabi.
- Find out what type of US visa you need.
- Determine where you should submit your application.
- Fill out the online application form.
- Pay the visa application fee.
- Make an appointment to apply for a US visa.
- Obtain the necessary documents for a US visa in Abu Dhabi.
- Have a visa interview
Check what type of US visa you need
U.S. visas for Abu Dhabi residents fall into two main categories
- U.S. nonimmigrant visas.
- U.S. immigrant visas.
These two categories have subcategories based on the purpose of your trip to the United States. Keep in mind that it is very important to choose the right visa. If you apply for the wrong visa, your application will be denied. The procedure to apply for a US visa in Abu Dhabi depends on the type of visa.
Check where you need to apply in Abu Dhabi
Applicants for a U.S. visa in the UAE must apply at either the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General. The place to apply for a U.S. visa depends on the type of visa you are applying for, as follows.
- If you are applying for a U.S. immigrant visa, you should submit your application to the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi.
- If you are applying for a U.S. nonimmigrant visa and:
- If you are a resident of Abu Dhabi, you should submit your application to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi.
- Dubai residents should submit their applications to the Consular Section of the U.S.
U.S. Embassy in Abu DhabiAddress: P.O.. Box 4009, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Phone number +971-2 414 2200
U.S. Consulate General in Dubai.
Address: Al Seef Rd: corner of Al Seef Rd. and Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Rd, Dubai, UAE.
Phone number +971-4-309-4000
This article is for individuals applying for a non-immigrant visa to the United States. If you are applying for an immigrant visa to the United States in Abu Dhabi, please refer to the article “Immigrant Visa to the United States”.
Complete the online application form
Once you know the above two things, you can take further concrete actions to apply for a US visa in Abu Dhabi. First, you need to fill out an online application form called the DS-160 form.
You can fill out the DS-160 form online in the following ways:
- Consular Electronic Application Center, or
- Using a third-party service such as TravelAssist.
Pay the visa fee & schedule an appointment
Once you have filled out your application, go to the official website of the US Department of State’s Visa Appointment Service. There you will pay the US visa fee for Abu Dhabi residents. Please follow the steps below to complete the payment process.
- Create a user account.
- Enter your DS-160 confirmation number.
- Complete the document return by courier process.
- Pay the nonimmigrant visa (MRV) application fee.
- Schedule an appointment with a consular officer.
Collect the required documents for a US visa from Abu Dhabi
Gathering the required documents to apply for a U.S. visa from Abu Dhabi is an essential part of the application process. The documents required vary greatly depending on what type of visa you are applying for.
To apply for a U.S. visa in Abu Dhabi, you must submit the following documents:
- A confirmation page showing that you have completed Form DS-160.
- A valid passport. The passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of your intended stay in the US. There must be at least one blank page for the visa to be affixed.
- A recent photo for the US visa, 5 x 5 cm in size, in color, taken within the last six months. If you have already uploaded a photo to your DS-160 application, you do not need to submit an additional photo.
- U.S. Visa Interview Appointment Confirmation Page (if applicable).
- Proof of payment for the application fee.
- Previous U.S. Visa (if applicable).
- ACRO; this is a police certificate obtained from the authorities in your country. A criminal record showing whether you have ever been arrested, cautioned, or convicted of a crime.
- Medical letter. This letter is only required if you have a medical condition that could affect your visa eligibility.
- Invitation letter to apply for a U.S. visa; if you are applying for a B-2 visa, you may also need this letter.
- If you have ever been denied entry into or deported from the U.S., you will also need to provide documentation showing the reason for the deportation/denial.
There are certain documents that must be submitted when applying for a US visa from Abu Dhabi. These documents are the heart of your application. It is recommended that you submit each of these documents according to the criteria set by the US authorities.
Please note that these documents are standard U.S. visa documents only. Depending on the purpose for which you are entering the United States, you may need to submit additional documents.
Once you are sure you have submitted all documents, we recommend that you shop around for travel insurance to the United States and find a rate that meets your needs for the duration of your stay.
Attend the visa interview
If you are between 14 and 79 years old, you must attend an interview to apply for a visa. The interview is mandatory. If you do not attend the interview, the Embassy will reject your application.
On the day of the visa interview, you must be on time at the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi. If you are late, your interview may be invalidated. Prior to the interview, consular staff will review your application materials. Your fingerprints will also be taken.
During the interview, the consular officer will ask you some questions about your trip to the United States. You will also be asked to submit any required documentation.
US Visa Application Processing Time in Abu Dhabi
Each application for a U.S. visa in Abu Dhabi takes varying amounts of time. This time depends on the number of applications the Embassy has received at the time of application. The processing time is around 4-6 weeks.
In Case of Visa Denial
If your application for a U.S. visa in Abu Dhabi is denied, the visa application fee will not be refunded. However, it is possible to reapply. If you reapply, you will have to pay the visa fee again.
In order for your application to be successful, you must provide proof that the reason for the previous rejection is no longer valid.