The Australian Business Owner Visa 890 is a permanent residence visa in the business visa category suitable for business owners who operate a business in Australia. To qualify for the 890 visa, you must already have a valid visa in Australia.
Who Can Apply for a Business Owner Visa 890?
You can apply for this visa if you meet any of the following requirements.
- Provisional business owner visa – subclass 160.
- Provisional senior executive visa – subclass 161.
- Provisional investor visa – subclass 162.
- State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner Provisional Visa- Subclass 163.
- State/Territory Sponsored Senior Management Temporary Visa- Subclass 164.
- State/Territory Sponsored Investor Provisional Visa- Subclass 165.
To qualify for an Owner 890 visa, you must have lived on one of the above visas for at least 12 months in the two years immediately preceding your 890 visa application. The required one-year period does not have to be consecutive.
You must also meet the following conditions:
- Own or manage a business in Australia for at least two years before applying for the visa.
- For current visas, you or your partner (including former partners) must meet the eligibility requirements at the time the visa is issued.
Document Checklist for a Business Owner Visa 890
When applying for an 890 visa, you will need to submit the following documents:
- A scanned color copy of your passport page with all information. If you have changed your name, you may also be asked to provide identification or proof of name change.
- Business visa application, form 47BU.
- Form 927.
- Form 1217 for Business Skills Profile.
- Two recent photographs of the applicant’s face. You must also provide a photograph of all other applicants. Photos must be taken according to specific guidelines.
- A summary of your professional and business activities (e.g., an overview page, outline, or written statement outlining your business activities in Australia).
- You must provide a summary of the following information in no more than two pages
- Your business in Australia and how long you have owned that business.
- The business activities you have undertaken while in Australia.
- Your management responsibilities in the last two years prior to your application.
- Your net business assets and your net personal assets in Australia in the year prior to your application (proof that you, your partner or in aggregate have AUD250,000 or more).
- Details of the turnover of your business
- Number of employees and their nationality and relationship to you (if applicable).
- Proof that you are the legal owner of the business.
- Proof of purchase if you purchased the business.
- Documentation proving that you established the business (if applicable).
- An organizational chart for each business (one page). The organizational chart should include your role in the business, employee responsibilities and duties.
- Up to six photos of your company premises.
- Evidence of your day-to-day involvement in the business for at least two years prior to application (e.g., decision-making processes, delegation of duties, leadership roles and responsibilities).
- Evidence of how you managed the business if you were absent for more than 6 weeks (within the 2-year period).
- Australian Business Number (ABN) for all businesses.
- Business Activity Statements (BAS) for all businesses and on a quarterly basis.
- Financial reports for all companies. Financial statements must cover the first and last period of the year up to three months prior to visa application.
- Proof that your business has employed two full-time or part-time employees for at least 30 hours per week for at least one year prior to application. You must also provide evidence that you have paid your employees at the federal government minimum wage or Australian premium rate. If possible, you should also provide proof of the employee’s residency or citizenship in Australia.
- Proof of English proficiency. This is required for family members over the age of 18 who do not have a qualifying visa and are applying for an 890 visa with you. If your dependents hold passports from one of these countries, you do not need to provide proof.
- the United Kingdom
- Republic of Ireland
- United States of America
- New Zealand
- Certificate of Good Conduct You must also provide an Australian Police Certificate for each person named in your application. This certificate is required if your family member has spent at least one year in Australia in the last 10 years since they turned 16. Only a National
- Police Certificate issued by the Australian Federal Police will be accepted, no other certificates will be accepted.
- Form 80 for personal information and character assessment.
- Form 1221 (Additional Personal Information).
- Provide proof that you meet health requirements. A medical examination may be required before a final decision can be made on your visa application.
- Use Form 956a if you want to appoint someone to receive your application, or Form 956 if you are using a migration agent.
- Sign the Australian declaration of values.
- Meet the health requirements. It is also recommended that you have valid health insurance.
- If you are bringing a family member, you must bring the following.
- Family member identification card
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce decree
- Adoption documents
- Certificate of dependency
- If you need to submit documents issued more than three months before the date of application, you must use the same date on all documents.
- Documents must be written in English or translated and submitted with the original documents.
- Bank and financial accounts must include a detailed balance sheet, profit and loss statement and all notes.
- You must hire an accountant who meets Australian Accounting Standards to prepare your financial documents.
- You must submit all documentation supporting the applicant’s claims, including audited financial statements. Otherwise, the visa decision may be completed without obtaining additional information or explanations.
How to Apply for a Business Owner Visa 890?
You can only apply for the 890 visa in paper form, and you must pay the application fee before your visa can be processed.
The application form must be sent to the Adelaide Business Skills Processing Centre by post or courier only.
Please note that you must be resident in Australia to apply for an 890 visa. If you have family members, they may be overseas at the time of application, but they cannot apply if they are under immigration control.
How Long Can I Stay With a Business Visa 890?
The 890 visa allows you to live permanently and you will be granted permanent residence on the day the visa is issued. However, Australian permanent residency visas have a fixed travel time limit. You are only allowed to travel freely for five years, after which you must apply for a return visa to maintain your permanent resident status.
If you do not wish to apply for a resident return visa, you may apply for Australian citizenship. If you apply for citizenship, your permanent residence counts from the date your visa is issued when you are in Australia, but if you are overseas, your permanent residence starts when you arrive in Australia.
How Much Is a Business Owner Visa 890?
The 890 visa costs AUD 2,450 when applied for in person. Additional family members will be charged an additional fee for each family member. If the additional applicant is over 18 years of age, cannot prove English language proficiency, and does not have a valid visa at the time of application, they will be required to pay the second installment. The fee for the second installment is AUD4,890.
Please note that your application will be returned if you pay an incorrect amount.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Business Visa 890?
There is no set time frame for the application process, as each application for the 890 visa is reviewed individually. However, if you apply without all the required documents, the application will take longer to process.
Can I Include Family Members Under a Business Visa 890?
Yes, as long as they are immediate family members of the applicant.
- Minor children
- Children of the partner
- Dependent children over the age of 18
Family members must have a qualifying visa issued based on the fact that they were your family at the time you applied for your previous visa. If your family member no longer meets the eligibility requirements, for example, because 23 years have passed since the visa was issued, they may still apply for an 890 visa with you.
You may add family members to your 890 visa application when you apply for the visa, or you may add family members after you apply for the visa, but only before a decision is made on your visa application. In addition, the family member must meet the applicant’s character and health requirements.
Can I Travel With a Business Visa 890?
The 890 visa allows you to travel freely for five years. After that, your travel permit expires and you must apply for a valid resident return visa or be an Australian citizen.
Business Owner Visa 890 Refused
The Department of Immigration and Citizenship will send you a notice stating whether or not you can apply for a review. If you can appeal the denial, you must send your application to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT).